Post Treatment Instructions
These instructions are applicable to most surgical procedures that have been performed by Western Iowa Periodontics and Implant Dentistry. They are specially designed to help maximize healing, minimize post-surgical pain and discomfort. Additionally, these instructions will help you understand if there is a situation where you may need to seek special medical attention.
- Avoid brushing and eating on the surgical area for at least 2 weeks unless otherwise instructed. Take all medicines as directed.
- When antibiotics are prescribed, please finish all pills in order to prevent re-infection.
- Apply ice to outside of surgical area with minimal pressure for 20 minutes per hour for first day.
- Rinse gently for 30 seconds, with the Chlorhexidine mouthrinse prescribed. Do this 2 times a day for 2 weeks unless told otherwise.
- Please limit your activity for 2-3 days following surgery. If you feel a pulse in the surgical area during your activity, it is a sign that you are over-exerting and you need to minimize your activity.
- Lastly, some swelling, discomfort and minimal bleeding can be expected. Extreme pain, golf ball-like swelling, pus drainage or profound bleeding is abnormal and you need to contact Dr. Gradoville immediately.
- You may reach Dr. Gradoville at the office during normal business hours 712-828-4862